Thursday, March 1, 2012

Our New Room!

Check it out!!!!


I'm so excited for how it came out. Now this room had to provide many uses, a computer room for school and work, bills and all the other fun stuff you have to do with a computer, and a craft room which I have A TON of craft stuff (and military stuff that has to be on hand ready to go) that is now all organized behind the curtain (I just wanted it to feel call and relaxing and since I don't have matching boxes and containers for everything on the shelves the curtain was a good option for me) and in the closet! and I promise to finish a project before I start another one!! (did you hear that babe!) So that it stays clean for my hubby who needs this area to study for school when he starts back up! As for the card table, I'm waiting for my mommy's hand me down computer table which I measured and will fit perfect where the card table is now. It's a little one perfect for not collecting a ton of stuff like the other computer table did (which I got rid of for free!) and the card table will fold up and fit behind the door with the chairs that are already there! I converted the two filing cabinets that were right next to the door to one four drawer one (which I spray painted and plan to put a chevron design on the front when we get a few extra dollars for paint!), that helped out a lot!


Here's the loft area...it's much cleaner now it just needs to be beautified:) I'm planning on painting the shelve (when it warms up outside), covering the bean bag with something more bright and hanging pictures of a classic book (I'm thinking "Where the Wild Things Are"). That all happens when there is a little more money in the bank account!


1. What space did you decide to organize and why?
    I went for the messiest room in our house, the drop it in and leave it room where anything we didn't want our daughter getting to went in a beautiful pill all over the room. I needed this room to be more organized so that my husband could study in there (and shut the door to keep the kiddos out) and I could craft/work in there (including the bills/blog).

2. What steps did you take to ensure you completed the space within the 29 day timeline?
    I really just had to do it day by day, one step at a time. With two little ones it's hard to plan when I can organize but I used up a lot of nap times and sometimes put the gate up so that they couldn't come in and get hurt with everything that was in there, who knew what they would find. First I needed to get the big stuff out to clear up the space so I had room to move. Then start going through papers (which we had a ton!) throwing/ shredding a lot. Since I brought the up stairs office down into the space I need to get rid of stuff we didn't use as well.

3. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and how did you overcome it?
    It was hard taking time it get in there and do it, I felt that I was taking time away from my little ones but I started to realize that the more organized I am the more time I'll have to spend with them. This was just a minor time frame that would help me out in the long run. I'm now more organized and spend less time trying to get stuff done.

4. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
    I tried to sell the desk but ended up giving it away for free cause it wasn't selling (which was fine, I just wanted it gone). The two filing cabinets are in my front room waiting to sell as well (and if they don't go in a week, they go for free as well! One week is all I want to stare at them for). Lots of things just got put "in they're home" we were just to lazy to do that in the beginning.

5. Tell me one of your proudest moments during this challenge?
    Being able to open the binds! I love to look outside and have the light come in! I can now reach the blinds and open them while I'm in my new beautiful room.

6. Explain any organizing “tools” you used to help you create additional space and to establish some limits and boundaries?
   Height! I decided to go up with things instead of out! That's really helped and opened up a lot of space.

7. What is ONE piece of advice you’d give to someone else to encourage them on their organizational journey?
   Don't give up. There was a moment in the month that I felt like it wasn't going to happen. I had a party and needed to get things cleaned up and this room became the dumping ground again. I felt terrible when I couldn't see the floor again after I had it all cleaned up the first time. Now I know that this is not a dumping ground, I spent too much time cleaning it up that it's NOT going to happen!! Things are going to be put back each night before bed, just let every other room in the house.


1 comment:

  1. using the curtain to cover the storage is a great idea. good work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...