Monday, January 2, 2012

Split Pea Soup

So I had a good friend from high school who was in need of some freezer recipes and that got me thinking that I need to add some good ones on here! If you have any of your own feel free to shoot them on over to me and I'll add them for all to see! (we can all use good quick freezer meal ideas!)

The first thing that came to mind is soups...especially for this time of year! They are so quick and easy and freezer very well. Here is my favorite Split Pea Soup recipe

1 ham bone
8c. water
1 lb dried split peas (= about 2 1/4c.)
4 medium carrots, cut to bit size pieces
1 medium onion
1 bay leaf

Rinse peas. Combine everything into pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1hr. Mash some afterwards to liking (we like big chunks so I don't mass to much).

If freezing: divide into individule size containers. Allow to cool slightly before freezing.

(A ham bone is a flat peice of ham with the the bone still in it. I found mine at Walmart in the middle bins that they have, my mom gets her's at Sam's)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...